• four eggs, separated
• 4 cups of milk
• 1 cup sugar divided
• 4 tablespoons cornstarch
• pinch salt
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
1. Separate eggs; beat yolks well and mix with milk.
2. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
3. Add milk and egg yolks to sugar mixture.
4. Cook in double boiler until thick, stirring often.
5. Remove from heat; add vanilla.
6. Beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until stiff.
7. Put pudding in a baking dish and spread egg whites over the top of the pudding.
8. Brown the meringue in a 350° oven until desired brown.
The pudding is also delicious if the egg whites are folded into the pudding while it is hot.
Courtesy of Mary J. Wilson